Thursday, August 28, 2008

Utopian Gustav

Since arriving here in America, from the very first jet lagged soaked days right up until now and I'm sure until I depart I have noticed the overt utopian nature of advertising.

Apparently if I shop at radioshack and buy one little insignificant item, the fact that I bought it at Radioshack will bring my neighbourhood - full of ballerinas and harley davidson bike riders - into a utopian bliss that harmoniously operates around...me.

If I get car insurance 'x' I'll feel 'animated' and will jump around through a cartoon nature with rabbits and bears.

I've also noticed the messages of transactional friendship in family soaps - Yank equivalents of Neighbors/Home and Away. 'I was hoping that if I told you a little about me - so that you'd tell me about you'. Blah.

Seeing this through the lens of Mark Sayers new book 'The Trouble with Paris' I'm reminded of this quote:
The more we try and ground our identities in external posessions or triumphs, the more we plaster our names on everything we can accumulate, the more we cling to surface and style, the less we find underneath.
Quite cutting really. The more energy you put to the phantom pursuits, the more faux substance found there - consequently the less energy found in depth. In the end they are only just phantom pursuits. Vanities. You can move one step closer and it gets one step further.

Now to some other news. Hurricane Gustav is hovering around Jamaica (man) right now. Projected computer models show it hitting the Gulf of Mexico by Saturday and then from there - who knows.

Put it in perspective: Tomorrow is the 3 year anniversary of hurricane Katrina. At Sam's club and Home depot (giant generic get-anything-you-want-as-big-as-you-want supermarket and the yank equivalent of Bunnings Warehouse) people were rampant buying water, gas cans, propane tanks, charcoal and batteries. This is a city on edge.

The storm may dissipate or turn west - who knows? (Carl Arrendondo from wwl 4 eye witness news is sure loving the limelight lately though - Lord that boy can talk).

Hopefully Mr Gustav decides get lost and steers clear - for now we wait and watch more of the Democratic National Convention (ha!).

P.S Geauxbama.

No comments: