Monday, August 11, 2008

Portland Ahoy.

So, last week was week was the CRM US national conference in Portland.

Firstly, in New Orleans for the past week it was just the singles. The families were doing donor meetings and seeing family. So this reunion at the conference was the first time in a 1-2 weeks that we had seen these guys.

It was great to see all the gang again - and also to meet and see some of those coming to join or thinking about joining Communitas New Orleans.

It was like a big family moment. One of our cabins 'D5' became the social hub of the camp. We were the 'rebels'. But I think it would be more accurate to say that everyone wanted to be like us.

I got a chance to go into Portland's CBD - beautiful city. Whilst there I went briefly into the world's largest book store (drools). Another day I also got to go out to the Columbia Gorge and Multnomah Falls - tre' pretty.

After the week of being out and about - it's nice to be back home.

The book I chew through on the plane rides was Chris Rose's '1 dead in attic'. It's a great book - it's a collection of articles he wrote covering New Orleans and his personal life Post Katrina. It really shone the light on aspects of the city that I have experienced but not yet processed. He really highlights the amazing culture here.

Now that I'm back in New Orleans - I'm going to be silent for 4 days. I'm sure that will be an interesting experience - I think not talking won't annoy me as much as no music!

That's pretty much all for now.

Peace.

No comments: